Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Walk Through My Forest Garden

Devil's Claw?


It has kind of a thorny stem, but it doesn't seem as compact as it should be.
The missing apple tree. This was started from seed four years ago. It seemed to have disappeared a month or so ago, and now it's back. I don't think it's ever going to get any bigger.
The rhubarb patch is doing really well. I picked the first bunch of the season yesterday.


 All of my zone 2 apple trees are damaged. They're all alive, but there are a few branches on each that died. And it was a mild winter. So sad. I don't think I'm ever going to have an apple tree here in the great white north. Should I trim off the dead now, or leave it for fall?




 Maybe one of these will be tough enough to withstand the weather. Only 7 years to wait.
Wild ginger? Still no flowers.
It's like a carpet through the trees. It could be valuable stuff.  I hear it's worth a right leg, lol.

The blueberries are popping up everywhere.  No signs of any pumpkins or beans yet.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think that's wild Ginger. I have oe and the leaves are rounder.

    We prune our appe and plum trees only when they are dormant...usually in winter. Tht seems to be standard practice. Nice photos of your land:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, thanks for the info. I'm afraid I won't be able to tell where the branches died in the winter, and of course they won't grow at all this summer. :(

      Delete
  2. it's definitely worth a leg...i'm not sure it's wild ginger but i sure do hope so!!!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no flowers. I dug up some, and the root is long and skinny. I don't think it's the right stuff.

      Delete
  3. I'm with the other gals thinking it isn't ginger but to be sure wait for the flower. I love the devil's claw. Cool leaf but don't think I'd like the spines. We just finished clearning our land for fire protection and had to remove a bunch of black berries (still bunches left for jam and cobblers). Both hubby and I are covered with scratches, welts, and blood from the thorns, so I'm not 'down' with thorns!
    Are your rubarb stocks short? This is my first time growing it and mine are very short. I'm hoping they will grow taller the older they get. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Clearing is such a pain.

      The rhubarb was short and fat, but it's getting better now. I believe it's related to the rainfall. The more rain we get, the longer and more tender the shoots.

      Delete
  4. Trim trees in winter. Do you think something is nibbling the little tree, keeping it from progressing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been nibbled. Or walked on and broken off. It's only been about a foot tall at the biggest. It gets completely buried in snow through the winter, so it's really hard to say what's happening.

      Delete