Monday, July 13, 2015

First Butter Day

Three days worth of milk hasn't yielded much cream
 

- or milk for that matter.


Nevertheless, I want to make butter every three days so that it's always cool and fresh.  I had a couple of batches last time with a bit of a sour taste, and I think I may have kept the cream in the fridge too long.  At least I hope that's the case, 'cause the other possible causes would be worse- what she ate or souring in the freezer.  Looking back over old posts it was probably timing.  I wasn't keeping up with things after my Dad died.

I skim the cream off the top of the milk jug with a ladle, just dipping it in enough so that the cream pools itself in.  Then I put the bowl of cream on my stand mixer with a wire whip and let it do it's thing.  It takes a while, but you can hear the difference when it starts to separate, so as long as I stay within earshot, I can keep busy with other things while I wait.

Once separated, I switch the kitchenaid from the wire whip to the porcelain beater.  I drain off the buttermilk through a strainer into a clean jar.  Add cold water to the butter, and beat out any remaining buttermilk.  Repeat until the water remains clear.

Since this is such a small amount of butter, I finished by hand with a rubber spatula.

This batch made about 3 Tbsp of butter.  How sad is that?  Still tastes delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment