We did hay this year with our neighbours up the road. Their farm, their hay, their equipment, our labour.
That worked out ok though, since we were able to stand on the hay while we did construction. Easier than a ladder when you're weilding large beams. Skids on the ground for a floor, logs, poles, and spikes for construction materials, and plastic for the roof.
The hay kept coming. Awesome. 553 bales in the end. We'll need to build another hay shed for next year. For this year, we have two stacks piled under tarps. We're already feeding a bit of hay now, as the grass in the pasture is getting pretty sparse. Most of these stacks will probably be gone before winter really sets in.
The last load was just me and the littles in September. The bigs had gone back to highschool.
I couldn't quite reach that patch on the top with the ladder I was using. I had taken the big ladder back to the house to work on the chimney. I figured I'd just get that later, instead of carting the ladder back and forth. Wouldn't you know it though- it's rained every day since I finished the chimney. The patch remains unpainted.
I painted the north side of the barn beige a couple of years ago. That's where the hay lean-to is. I'll give it a fresh coat of paint in the spring.