This was a new one for me. I attempted some hams with our first pigs. They didn't work out so well. With our second pigs, I tried a brine, making some back bacon and cottage roll type hams. They were better. The smaller pieces turned out really well, actually. The larger pieces needed more time in the brine, and maybe some injections into the centre of the thickest parts. We ended up eating them as slow roasted pull apart pork. Delish!
I found three brine recipes online. I used this one in one bucket. I started out with this one in the second bucket, and then started fiddling with it, because it just didn't seem right to me. It ended up closer to the first, without the cloves, and bay leaves. I don't have a kitchen scale, so my measurements are approximate. I left out the sodium nitrate. I'm going to freeze it after anyways, if it goes bad before then, I'd rather throw it out than eat carcinogens on purpose.
found here. I used the egg in a shell to test the saltiness of the water. I pierced the meat vigorously with a fork before submersing it in the brine.