Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Ground Hog Day!

What's the verdict?  Has Willie seen his shadow?

Growing up, it was always exciting to hear what Willy had to say.  I think, even through most of my adulthood, the forecast from Willy was still fun and fan fare.  I have to be honest though, I just don't feel the same way about wee Willy.  All in all, what does it really matter?

If he sees his shadow, he runs back in his hole, and we're bound to six more weeks of winter.  If he has no shadow, he stays outside, and we'll have an early spring.  Yay!  What is an early spring?  I mean, we watch the groundhog on February 2nd!?!!?  6 more weeks of winter only brings us to March 9th!  We're in a 2a growing zone.  Or an H if you use this new map from Ontario.  Our frost free date is June 3rd!  How much worse could winter get here?

Never the less, there are other signs of an early spring.  The 'January thaw' took place through Christmas vacation.  Mama, with her expanding belly.  The buds on the trees already, not too far south of us.  The heat of the sun these days, as it pours through the windows.

It could happen.


Of course, I can't help but think of those other years, when I was fooled into believing it was spring ahead of time.  When I vigorously planted the garden, well ahead of schedule, and lost everything to those late frosts.  This could be one of those years.  We have so little snow, that just a few days of warm weather could make it all disappear.  Of course, warmer weather also has a tendency to make it snow.  Maybe Willy will come out to tell us that winter is ready to begin.

I'll be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment