They weren't due to start hatching until Monday, but Friday night the first chirps were heard. We actually thought one of the older chicks had gotten loose and come up to the house at first. Then I realized my eggs were chirping. Quickly out of the egg turner and onto the screen. Three eggs were already pipped and all three hatched that night.
There are 17 now, with 11 eggs left unhatched. I'm going to give them another day before I shut the incubator off, but I think they're probably done. 61% hatch rate.
The last chick to hatch had a hard time of it. Part of someone else's shell got stuck to his shell. I don't know how long he had been trying to break free when I noticed it. I peeled off the extra shell for him, but his inner shell had already started drying out. He managed to break free, but there are bits of shell stuck to him. He's kind of wobbly on his feet too. I don't think he'll make it, but time will tell.
With this hatch I added a small dish of feed inside the incubator. The shells provide all the feed they need for the first 24 hours, but the last batch didn't seem to be eating until about day three. I thought putting a little feed in the incubator with them might help. It seems to have worked. This batch is off to a good start eating and drinking lots.
Now I know I should quit for this year- that's a lot of chicken to feed this winter- but an empty incubator makes me sad. So I advertised this batch on kijiji. Oh! Maybe I'll make some money... I'll start collecting eggs for another hatch...