I fed the starters, and I saved an additional Dawson starter with commercial yeast in it. While that's not ideal, I was curious to see if I could keep the commercial yeast alive in this way.
I tucked the three jars up in the cupboard, and discovered an explosion the next day. The potato mother definitely doubled. Progress.
Round four I had planned to follow directions with all three starters, but I had almost no bubbling in any of the three in the pancake phase. The potato mother surprised me most of all. Since I knew it had doubled, I expected it to be ready to use. Then I thought maybe the yeast was the part I had cleaned up off the cupboard.
I decided to cheat, just a little. Just before mixing in the remaining flour, I added a teaspoon of old yeast, from a jar that I had stopped using over a year ago because my bread wasn't rising properly. I was hoping it would give them enough of a boost to make edible bread.
The Dawson bread was gooey on the inside with playdough smell. Bird food.
The Dawson with commercial yeast- edible, but has an odd aftertaste.
The potato mother bread is edible, nice holes forming inside, but the top of the loaves all cracked. I probably should have left it alone to do it's thing.