Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Little Rain

Wild weather in the north the past couple of days, but not at my house.  There were tornado and thunderstorm warnings Tuesday night.  Rumour has it a tornado touched down three hours away.  Forest fires have been breaking out every where, and most of the province is under a fire ban until further notice.  Down pours of rain in the neighbouring areas.

At my house, the temperature has taken a nose dive.  0°C last night, rain off and on, 3°C right now, high of 15°C today.  It feels very cold after the warm weather we've been having.  It is supposed to warm back up for the weekend. 

Yesterday I accomplished next to nothing.  I did bake 10 loaves of bread, and washed a mountain of dishes (I tend to get a little behind on the house stuff when I'm puttering in the garden), but every time I looked out, saw the sun, and thought I should go do something, it started to rain.

I transplanted another hollyhock and two more nasturdiums in the perennial bed, along with a little something else?!  It looks similar to the English Thyme, but the leaves are slightly different shaped.  That's the last of the tray of mixed plants, and I still haven't found the paper.  And I got rained on.

I checked on the greenhouse, and everything transplanted on Tuesday seems to be doing well.  I started working the next section, loosening the dirt, pulling weeds.  I started walking back to the house to get my seeds, and I got rained on.

I went out to pick dandelion greens for the doggy stew, and I got rained on.

I went out to pick dandelion buds for supper, and I got rained on.  I stuck it out through the rain, and got two nice handfuls to toss into a partridge stew.

Twice through the afternoon the rain turned to tiny balls of hail, and Husband said at one point it was wet snow at one point, but I missed that.

So, after all of that rain, you'd think we'd be tramping through fields of mud now, right?  Not a chance.  The garden is still dry, dry, dry.  The grass is looking a little happier now.  Hopefully it will grow in lush and thick.  I doubt it was enough to make any difference in the woods.


2 comments:

  1. You accomplished "next to nothing" and baked 10 loaves of bread? You have got to be kidding...lol. That sounds like lots to me.

    I understand the mountain of dishes. Don't you have a couple of dishwashers living with you?

    You sound very damp with all the rain you experienced. It's too bad the garden did not get enough. Years ago, I spent 8 hours a day for a week in the rain, cleaning out the jungle on one side of my yard. I actually like doing it in the rain because bugs did not bite.

    You get so much accomplished! I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Oh, Linda... I am sad to say that my boys eat such an incredible amount of food in a day, that baking 10 loaves of bread is not an accomplishment. It's only one extra batch than my normal 6 loaves every other day. And I get an extra loaf because I have to use a couple of smaller pans. And, sadly, the mountain of dishes goes with the non stop appetites.

      If I get really busy, backed up, or bitchy, all of the boys will wash dishes. You can even eat off the ones that #2 washes. #1 leaves a lot of gunk on stuff (the blind child). #3 is lazy and doesn't care, so his dishes are always slimy. #4 gets distracted and starts playing in the sink. It's easier if I wash the dishes myself. Besides, they do so much MANLY work around here, I figure I owe them an occasional hot meal on a clean plate. ;)

      I don't mind working in a steady warm rain, but when it's cold I'm a wimp. If it's not a steady rain, all of the bugs come out to feast between the rain drops.

      Delete